NEW BLOG LOCATIONS

I've moved to another two blogs, one on writing, and one on general stuff like this one. Please come visit! MY NEW BLOGS:

http://amydeardon1.blogspot.com

http://thestorytemplate.blogspot.com


Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April 15th

I'm back! Wow, what a liberating time to be free of the internet! It is a wonderful invention, don't get me wrong, but I had such an awesome time without the call of emails or, dare I say it, blogging. I highly recommend a net vacation for anyone who wants to clear his head.

Interesting (for me, anyway) that I come back today, April 15th, a bad day in history:



Abraham Lincoln died on this day in 1865 after being shot on Good Friday the night before by John Wilkes Booth. It was just 6 days after General Robert E. Lee had surrendered at Appomattox. One wonders how our country's reconciliation between North and South might have gone differently if Lincoln instead of Andrew Johnson had overseen Reconstruction: Johnson weakened the fragile union by encouraging Southern rebels, denying freed slaves any rights, and breaking rich men to redistribute wealth.



The Titanic sank early in the morning on this day in 1912 after hitting an iceberg in the North Atlantic Ocean while steaming from Southampton England to New York City. 1517 people were lost; the Titanic carried a lifeboat capacity of less than half of its total 2223 persons on board. Only 706 people, 31.8% of the total, survived. Titanic was the most modern and luxurious ship built at the time, and was thought to be unsinkable.



And of course, today is tax day. OK, I won't go there.

*

No, I'm not superstitious, and I remain full of hope even on this dark day. I had a wonderful time this past week with DH and kiddos, not even touching a keyboard (although I did do a considerable amount of writing and organizing by hand in a little spiral notebook). I have a much better sense now of Nest, and am eager to dive in to rewrite and finish the manuscript. The space station research is killing me!

9 comments:

Julie Gillies said...

I agree that blogging/e-mail breaks are good for the soul. Ahhh!

Your post is so interesting--I had no idea all these things happened on April 15th. And they say beware the Ides of March! HA!

Have a great writing week--hope the research is fruitful and easier than you expect. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, this WAS a day in history, huh? Jeepers.

Welcome BACK!!

Billy Coffey said...

Glad you're back, Amy, though I completely understand the need for a little break every now and then. Even from blogging.

I just read another blog that remarked about the horrible things that have happened on April 15. I had heard on the radio earlier about the Titanic, but I didn't realize that Lincoln also died this day. In guess in light of those two things, paying some taxes isn't all that bad.

Maybe.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I love the mousetrap!

Andra M. said...

I also had no idea the history of this day. It makes me glad I did my taxes early.

Breaks are always good for the soul, and I'm glad yours was so fruitful.

Welcome back.

Allie said...

Welcome back!

Sarah Salter said...

Welcome Back, Amy! I missed you while you were gone! :-)

Amy Deardon said...

You guys are so sweet! Thank you. I'm glad to see all of you also :-)

Krista Phillips said...

Welcome back, girl!

An Internet/computer break... wow, that actually sounds pretty nice! I need to do that one of these days. I have a hard time taking even a night off!

Glad you're back though:-)