I was pleased a few months ago to discover John MacArthur's sermons online HERE. He's got some great stuff! I was just listening to a series on "The Basics of Christianity" and decided to blog about what he says in this series in context with goals in the new year.
Here's the question: what is your life goal?
a) to glorify God
b) to glorify self
And really, every goal we pursue falls under one of these two categories.
If you do, in fact, belong to God, you should deeply desire to glorify Him and not yourself. So, what does this look like?
1. The first thing is that we must confess Jesus as Lord. His is the name that is above all other names, that all those in heaven and on the earth and under the earth will kneel to. (Philipians 2:9-11) Those who pursue God, but do not recognize Christ as God/man and resurrected redeemer, do not, in fact, glorify Him.
2. recognize that we are saved for HIS glory, and not primarily for our own blessing in avoiding hell. (1 John 2:12)
3. aim all in our life to God's glory -- even the most mundane and menial things. Just ask yourself before each action: will this glorify God, or me? It's a good habit to develop.
And then, you can test yourself to see if you do, in fact, prefer Him:
1. are you looking for His benefit or yours?
2. are you content to do His will no matter what it costs (dreams/ambitions), or do you want what you want?
3. do you hate to be exposed to things that offend Him? (eg swearing with His name, bad actions in movies, etc.)
4. do you rejoice when others succeed? are you content to be outdone by others as long as God is glorified?
5. do you confess sin?
6. do you trust God even when you don't understand what's going on?
7. have you produced fruit in your attitudes and actions?
8. do you praise Him for His attributes and His past actions? You may wish to keep a notebook for your requests and responses.
9. do you pursue peace? (for example, if someone cuts you off in traffic...)
10. are you obedient to His will even if you know it may hurt your own plans?
11. do you study and proclaim his word?
Ready or not #The RunningWriter
2 weeks ago