NEW BLOG LOCATIONS

I've moved to another two blogs, one on writing, and one on general stuff like this one. Please come visit! MY NEW BLOGS:

http://amydeardon1.blogspot.com

http://thestorytemplate.blogspot.com


Monday, November 17, 2008

What Do You Love to Do?

I like to imagine that every person has a special mission, one or more accomplishments that are set apart for only him or her. Even if someone is profoundly handicapped, his or her presence and reactions and special personality somehow can work on others to potentially influence them for good.

What we do may seem inconsequential at the time, but have long-reaching repercussions. I always like to think of the two thieves each on a cross, crucified next to Jesus. One redeemed himself, one didn't. Here is the passage from Luke 23: 39-43:

One of the criminals who were hanged railed at him, saying, "Are you not the Christ? Save yourself and us!" But the other rebuked him, saying, "Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we indeed justly, for we are receiving the due reward of our deeds; but this man has done nothing wrong." And he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." And he said to him, "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise." (ESV)

This thief who chided the other had lived his life in such a reprobate manner that he was crucified, the most horrific and extreme form of capital punishment in the Roman Empire. The thief was dying, and yet through this one small last action the record of his existence is preserved so that we talk about him (and learn from him) 2000 years later. The thief's statement to Jesus, also and more importantly, led to his redemption if you believe in Jesus as the Son of God --> and there are good reasons to believe this. (If you don't believe this you are always welcome to email me for questions or comments; I only insist on courtesy and respect in any discussion).

So, what might your special mission or calling be? I found these questions from Dr. MaryAnn Diorio's blog. Dr. Diorio is a Christian lifecoach who helps people find direction in life. Think of something you're not sure if you should be working on or not. Then, answer these questions:

1) Does this activity give me great joy in the doing?

2) Do others consistently give me feedback that my doing this activity blesses them?

3) Would my life feel empty without this activity?

Hopefully, your answers will help to point you in a direction that will fulfill you as well as others.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great questions...very interesting.

I might add another,
4.) Does what you're doing fall in line with God's Word.

I try and ask that a lot. I'm sooooo not perfect at it, but I just try my best.

Great post, today, Amy!

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Those are great questions!

KM Wilsher said...

Amy, this is what stood out to me: “What we do may seem inconsequential at the time, but have long-reaching repercussions.” Sometimes I do things, say things, choose things and I feel like they are a waste of time. But, “we plant the seed and He makes it grow”, right?
Thanks for the questions. I think they are questions I need to ask myself a lot – not just once. Thanks Amy!

Amy Deardon said...

gzusfreek -- I really really believe this. Without meaning to repeat the theme, I realized I JUST wrote another entry on this topic also called Secret Sacrifices http://amydeardon.blogspot.com/2008/11/secret-sacrifices.html I think of that boiled water...

Avily Jerome said...

Good thoughts and questions.

So does that mean I can quit doing housework? Because I totally don't feel fulfilled by it....

But I guess it does edify my family, so...

Off to vacuum!

Thanks for that, Amy!

KM Wilsher said...

Amy, I visited "Secret Sacrifices". WoW! I go to school/work with some who don't believe in Jesus. I have witnessed over and over to no avail. They aren't budging. Sometimes I feel like I'm "boiling that pot of water" for nothing. But your posts are good reminders to keep fighting the good fight! Please, keep the reminders coming, Amy! Thank you.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Hey, Amy! For me, writing fits all of these questions to "T." I'm still trying to convince myself that God ca use humor writing. Thanks for commenting today at 2nd Cup.